January 13, 2013 (TSR) – The Egyptian Court of Cassation has accepted two appeals concerning former president Hosni Mubarak, state TV reported Sunday.
The first appeal was submitted by Mubarak and his former interior minister Habib al-Adli.
The second appeal was filed by the prosecution against Mubarak’ s son Gamal and Alaa, and six other assistants of the interior minister over the killing of protestors during the unrest in January 2011.
All these people, including Mubarak, will be retried. The retrial date has not been decided yet.
On June 2, 2012, the Cairo Criminal Court decided to sentence Mubarak and Adli to life terms for charges of killing protesters in the popular demonstrations last year. Adli’s six assistants were acquitted.
Egypt’s prosecution questioned Saturday Mubarak over gifts worth over 1 million U.S. dollars allegedly received by him every year from state-run Al-Ahram newspaper from 2006 to 2011.
The prosecution will also form a committee to investigate the gifts Mubarak might have received from Al-Ahram from 1984 to 2006.
Prosecutor-General Talat Ibrahim Abdullah decided Thursday to form a special prosecution to investigate the crimes committed during the 2011 unrest that toppled Mubarak.
The purpose of the newly formed prosecution is to investigate the report of the fact-finding committee formed by President Mohamed Morsi regarding the murdering and assaulting peaceful protestors during the demonstrations that ousted Mubarak.
Mubarak, who is currently facing life imprisonment for ordering the killing of protesters in 2011, has recently been transferred from prison hospital to a nearby military hospital due to deteriorating health condition.
Mubarak’s death as exaggerating and not true
Egyptian former President Hosni Mubarak is receiving treatment in a hospital and is getting better, a lawyer of Mubarak told Xinhua on December 30, 2012.
In an exclusive interview with Xinhua, Farrid el-Deeb dismissed rumors about Mubarak’s death as exaggerating and not true, noting that he met with Mubarak at Maadi Military Hospital on Saturday night and was also keeping contact with Mubarak’s relatives now.
“I saw him last night (Dec 29) in the intensive care. He is getting better and better, and I believe he will be fine as long as he remains in the military hospital,” said Deeb.
The lawyer said Mubarak deserve a better environment rather than the Tora Prison.
“You can’t put an 85-year-old man such as Mubarak in a prison room. No matter what equipment it has, there are no medical experts in the prison hospital,” Deeb said. “Generally, it is not true that his case is critical or that he is dying, but I highly recommend that he remain in the hospital.”
Meanwhile, a security source who preferred to be anonymous confirmed that all rumors about Mubarak’s death or comma were wrong.
“He mainly suffers from old age diseases and some cracks in his bones resulted from falling down in the prison,” said the source.
Mubarak was transferred on December 27 from Tora Prison Hospital to Maadi Military Hospital for treatment due to deteriorating health. The ousted president, who is serving life imprisonment for ordering the killing of protesters in 2011, was recently injured in his head after slipping and falling down in a bathroom of the prison hospital.