by Lady Michelle-Jennifer Santos, Chief Visionary Founder & Owner
August 20, 2013 (TSR) – Egypt‘s former President Hosni Mubarak will be released within this week as the last corruption case he faces is likely to get settled within 48 hours, his lawyer Farid al-Deeb told media outlets on Monday.
Egyptian judicial authorities on Monday reportedly ordered former President Hosni Mubarak released in one of the remaining corruption cases against him.
“All that is left for us to do is a simple administrative procedure… I’m certain that Mubarak will be released by the end of this week,” said al-Deeb.
Since Mubarak is accused of misusing power and receiving gifts from his information minister in the case, he will pay back the money equivalent of the gifts’ worth, al-Deeb said.
“I’m certain that by settling the last corruption case, Mubarak will be released immediately,” al-Deeb added.
Earlier in the day, an Egyptian court ordered to release Mubarak in his second last corruption case, which accused him of looting funds allocated for maintaining the presidential palaces.
Aly Mashallah, a legal expert, told Xinhua that Mubarak could be also released on bail in the case of killing protesters, as his legal detention period had already expired.
However, if his last corruption case cannot be settled, Mubarak will stay in prison pending investigation for another renewable period (maximum 45 days), Mashallah added.
Mubarak faces retrial over charges of involvement in the killing of protesters during the 2011 upheaval which toppled him. On Saturday, an Egyptian court postponed the retrial to Aug. 25 amid ongoing clashes between protesters of ousted President Mohamed Morsi and security forces.
Mubarak’s retrial was set to reconvene on Saturday…. but the hearing was immediately adjourned when the defendants failed to appear, due to the current security crisis.
Egyptian security officials cited “difficulties” in transferring the defendants to the court room at the New Cairo Police Academy, because of the ongoing clashes. It’s the first time Mubarak, who’s 85, has missed a session of the retrial, since it began in May.
Hundreds of police officers and dozens of armored police vehicles were stationed to ensure security throughout proceedings held at a police academy on the outskirts of Cairo, reported al-Ahram last month.
Mubarak, his interior minister Habib el-Adly and six aides are accused in complicity with the deaths of more than 800 people during the 2011 uprising.
The ex-president and his sons are also facing charges for illegally using funds allocated for expenditure on presidential palaces for their private villas and corruption.
In June, Mubarak was sentenced to life imprisonment for the killings of 800 people in the unrest but a retrial was ordered in January because of “procedural failings” in the original trials, stated al-Ahram in an article from July this year.