by Staff Reporter
April 18, 2013 (TSR) – The Cairo Appeal Court has set the date for the retrial of Egypt’s former president Hosni Mubarak on 11 May according to Egyptian state media reports.
On Saturday, Judge Mustafa Hassan Abdullah, presiding over the retrial, recused himself from the case and referred it to the Cairo Appeal Court.
The new presiding judge will be Mahmoud Kamel El-Rashidi, a low-profile jurist.
Last June, Mubarak received a life sentence for failing to prevent the killing of protesters. In January, however, he was granted a retrial due to procedural irregularities in the initial trial.
Hosni Mubarak was initially arrested on 12 April 2011.
On Monday, a court ruled the ex-president could no longer be detained over his complicity in the killing of protesters during the revolution. Nevertheless, he will remain in detention on the corruption charges.
Since his detention in April 2011, the ousted president has complained of intermittent health problems.
Following his conviction in June 2012 for his ‘complicity’ in the murder of protesters during the January uprising, he has been moved back and forth between Tora and Maadi Military Hospital.
A spokesman for Egypt’s Public Prosecution has confirmed that Mubarak’s health condition does not require him to stay at the military hospital in Maadi. Mahmoud El-Hefnawy also told Ahram Online that Egypt’s Prison Authority had been informed of the decision to transfer the former president.
On Saturday, Egyptian Prosecutor-General Talaat Abdullah requested Mubarak’s transfer, health permitting, back to Tora Prison Hospital. On Tuesday, Mubarak was assessed by a medical committee to see if the requested transfer was viable.
On 7 April, Hosni Mubarak received an extension to his detention by 15 days pending further investigations into the same charges of illicitly obtaining funds earmarked for the appropriation of presidential palaces.
Because Egyptian law prohibits overlapping terms of detention, Mubarak’s new 15-day detention order began on Monday, coinciding with his release on charges of complicity in the killing of protesters, explained Appeal Court deputy head Yehia Galal.
Mubarak lawyer Farid El-Dib has submitted a memorandum stating his client had already spent the maximum allowed provisional detention – two years – in the killing of protesters case, which led to Mubarak’s provisional release.
If the detention order is not renewed, the former president will be released on 30 April.
Mubarak has been transferred from Maadi Military Hospital to the Tora Prison, South of Cairo, amid tight security measures, state news agency MENA reported Thursday morning.
The prison hospital is fully able to deal with Mubarak’s health, the interior minister said in a statement.
Mohamed Ibrahim said that in the event of an “urgent health crises”, the former president would be transferred immediately to a hospital outside the prison in accordance with prison regulations.
Pro-Mubarak Supporters livid against Muslim Brotherhood and Morsi
His transfer had been held up by protests staged by hundreds of his supporters late on Wednesday.
Many Egyptians were angered when the 84-year-old Mubarak, who was seriously ill last year, appeared in good health, smiling and waving to the public in court on Saturday, and there were calls for him to be sent back to jail.
Some protesters allegedly tried to storm the military hospital, where he was detained, but security forces halted the attempt.
Another protester unsuccessfully attempted to set himself ablaze in protest at the decision.
“We love you Mubarak” and “Down, down with the rule of the Muslim Brotherhood,” chanted the protesters, referring to new President Mohamed Morsi’s group.
MENA said the ex-president’s sons – Alaa and Gamal who are currently detained in the same prison – received him and tried to calm him as he appeared quite angry, agreeing with his supporters.
Mubarak sons detained for further 15 days in the same prison
Meanwhile, Egypt’s state security prosecution has also ordered Gamal and Alaa Mubarak, the sons of former president Hosni Mubarak, to be detained for a further 15 days, was adjourned on Monday to 11 May. Both face charges of corruption and stock market manipulation.
Facing retrial along with Mubarak for their role in the murder of protesters during the 2011 uprising are former interior minister Habib El-Adly and six of his aides.
On the same day, the court will also hear a case against Mubarak, his sons Alaa and Gamal and business tycoon Hussein Salem on corruption charges.
Also facing retrial for their alleged roles in the killing of protesters during the revolution are former interior minister Habib El-Adly, along with six of his aides.