February 21, 2013 (TSR) – In the framework of the visit to Cuba of Prime Minister Dmitry A. Medvedev and as a reflection of the two governments’ shared willingness to continue strengthening their excellent bilateral relations, based on traditional ties of friendship between the two peoples and countries, 10 legal documents were signed by Cuban and Russian representatives on February 21.
The documents are:
1. An agreement between the government of the Republic of Cuba and the government of the Russian Federation to regularize the Republic of Cuba’s debt to the Russian Federation for credits given during the era of the former USSR.
2. An agreement between the government of the Republic of Cuba and the government of the Russian Federation to cooperate in the exploration and utilization of outer space for peaceful ends.
The objective of the agreement is to establish and develop mutually beneficial cooperation in the exploration and utilization of outer space and the practical implementation of space equipment and technologies for peaceful ends.
3. An agreement between the government of the Republic of Cuba and the government of the Russian Federation on the provision of conditions for buildings covering the needs of the embassy of the Republic of Cuba in Moscow and the embassy and general consulate of the Russian Federation in Havana.
The agreement facilitates the rental of buildings for the use of diplomatic missions for a 25-year term.
4. An agreement between the Ministry of Foreign Trade and Investment of the Republic of Cuba and the Federal Customs Service of the Russian Federation on collaboration, information exchange and mutual aid within the framework of the Customs Union Single Tariff Preferences System between Russia, Belarus and Kazakhstan.
This will contribute to bilateral trade on the basis of facilities offered by the abovementioned Single Tariff Preferences System, by giving Cuba a preferential tariff treaty for commercial exchanges.
5. An agreement between the Ministry of Science, Technology and the Environment of the Republic of Cuba and the Ministry of Natural Resources and Ecology of the Russian Federation, for cooperation in the field of hydrometeorology and environment monitoring, including the exchange of scientific resources, experts and technical information for the support, improvement and development of scientific and operative research and the meteorological service in the agreed collaboration sectors.
6. Memorandum of understanding between the Nuclear Energy and Advanced Technology Agency attached to the Ministry of Science, Technology and the Environment of the Republic of Cuba and the Rosatom Atomic Energy State Corporation of the Russian Federation, on cooperation in the field of nuclear medicine and the production of radioactive preparations for medical ends.
This memo promotes collaboration in the field of nuclear medicine and the production of radioactive preparations for medical ends in sectors defined within the memo, such as the production and use of radioisotopes for diagnoses and radiotherapy, joint production of radio-pharmaceutical preparations, and research
7. Memorandum of understanding between the Ministry of Education of the Republic of Cuba and the Ministry of Education and Sciences of the Russian Federation for cooperation in education.
This memo will promote cooperation in primary education and general secondary education, as well as basic and secondary professional education. It will also benefit the development of pedagogical scientific projects to increase the quality of education and teacher training.
8. Memorandum on collaboration between the National Archive of the Ministry of Science, Technology and the Environment of the Republic of Cuba and the Federal Archives Agency of the Russian Federation.
The parties will exchange work experiences and information on archive management within currents of interest, as well as visits by archive specialists and archive management delegations, based on the principle of reciprocity.
9. Leasing agreement with the option of purchasing AN 158 aircraft between the Ilyushin Finance Co., Aviaimport S.A. and the South American Aircraft Leasing Co.
Through this document Cuba will lease three AN-158 aircraft from the Ilyushin in order to facilitate air transportation.
10. Agreement of Intent for the supply of Russian aeronautics technology and its guarantee between Ilyushin Finance Co. and the Cubana Aviación Corporation.
This agreement gives continuity to cooperation maintained in the aeronautics sector and will allow Cubana de Aviación to increase its fleet of aircraft.