December 30, 2012 (TSR) – Egypt’s Prosecutor-General Talaat Ibrahim Abdullah imposed Saturday a travel ban on 26 former government figures including former President Hosni Mubarak, his wife Suzanne Thabet, his two sons and their wives, official news agency MENA reported.
The list also includes former Prime Minister Ahmed Nazif, former Interior Minister Habib al-Adly, former presidential Chief of Staff Zakariya Azmy, former Parliament Speakers Ahmed Fathy Surour and Safwat al-Sherif, besides ex-ministers and former officials of state-run newspapers, most of whom are either detained or fugitives.
The decision temporarily prohibits all of them from disposing of their funds and properties due to the ongoing relevant investigations of the Public Funds Prosecution.
Mubarak is currently serving life imprisonment over responsibility for the killing of protesters in last year’s unrest, while his two sons are in custody on corruption and profiteering charges. Neither Mubarak’s wife nor his two step-daughters are detained although they are included in the list.
Mubarak to stay in army hospital as health worsens
Egypt’s deposed leader Hosni Mubarak, who is serving a life sentence for his role in killing protesters during a 2011 revolt, will stay in an army hospital for at least two weeks after his health deteriorated, his lawyer said on Friday.
The state of Mubarak’s already fragile health has been the subject of intense speculation in Egypt and he has spent much of the time before and after his trial in various hospitals.
On Thursday evening, the 84-year-old former leader was transferred to an army hospital from his prison clinic after fracturing a rib in a recent fall.
“He will stay in the hospital for about 15 days,” Mohamed Abdel Razek, his lawyer, told Reuters.
“The president’s health is stable, thank God. He underwent X-rays on his body and now he will get proper treatment in the hospital for all his bone problems he has been suffering from.”
Mubarak was toppled after 30 years in power and sentenced to life in prison in June this year. He was admitted to a prison hospital that same month following what security officials described at the time as a “health crisis”.
During his trial, Mubarak, the first Arab ruler to be brought to court by his own people, was routinely wheeled into the cage used for defendants in Egyptian courts on a hospital gurney.
He has not spoken publicly about the events that followed his downfall, saying almost nothing at his trial appearances beyond confirming his presence and denying the charges against him.
Mubarak’s legal team had been pressing to have him moved from the prison hospital to a better-equipped facility permanently, saying he was not receiving adequate treatment.
But there has been some confusion over the exact nature of his ailments, with state media reporting a variety of illnesses ranging from shortage of breath to heart attacks and comas.
Source: Xinhua, Reuters